Thursday, October 28, 2010

Unconditional

So today I had to make one of the hardest decisions in my life...to decide whether or not I want to continue my relationship with my mom. It should be an easy and simple decision but it is not. It should be a no brainer but it is not. It should be unconditional...it is, on one side. I love my mom deeply but cannot continue to live and interact with her the way that we do. It's not healthy for anyone.

There are so many stories I could tell about my childhood that would make you squirm but I chose not to tell them because they are in the past. I cannot change what happened but I can move forward in my life and make a choice to move past all of the bad that happened. there was good in those years but more bad than good. I am not one for rehashing the bad.

I had a couple of options, I could bring up all of the bad and confront her and watch her deny everything that happened and watch her walk out of my life forever or I could say nothing and chose to walk away on my own without causing her pain. I am not a confrontational person and so I chose the leaser of two evils. I chose to walk away...for now. Who knows what the future will hold for us. It's not the first time but it is the first time I feel peace with walking away.

No comments: